Known for its antibiotic, antiseptic and antimicrobial properties tea tree oil is an effective home remedy for a variety of hair issues. Extracted from the Australian Tea Tree the oil can help revitalize the scalp and promote hair growth. Below is a comprehensive look the benefits and how to use tea tree oil for hair.
Benefits of Tea Tree Oil for Hair
1. Stops Bacterial and Viral Infections
The scalp is susceptible to bacterial, fungal and viral as well as microbial organisms. Such infections cause irritation, dandruff, split-end and dryness of the scalp. Because of its anti-fungal and antimicrobial properties tea tree oil can shield the scalp from bacterial and viral infections. In fact, the oil consists up to 98 compounds among them Terpine-4, which gives the oil its anti-fungal and antimicrobial ability.
2. Improves the Scalp’s Health
The hair’s health is directly associated with that of the scalp. Thus, the healthier the scalp so is your hair. Regular application of tea tree oil to the scalp gets prevents accumulation of dead skin thereby keeping the scalp healthy. Note that dead skin is attributed to clogging the hair follicles and hampers the natural growth of the hair.
3. Increases Blood Flow to the Scalp
Tea tree oil lessens the inflammation of follicle cells in the scalp and, in turn, boosts blood flow to the scalp. Besides, by getting rid of clogged cells from the pores of the scalp the oil keeps the scalp healthy and clean. Increasing the amount of blood that circulates in the scalp induces faster hair growth.
4. Prevent Dandruff
Dandruff is caused by shedding of cells from the scalp caused by combing or brushing. Dry skin and yeast infection, as well as exposure to heat, can also cause dandruff. Other causes of dandruff include high levels of stress, using harsh products to clean the hair and skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema. Due to its ability to remove dead cells from the scalp, tea tree oil can also help prevent dandruff.
5. Breaks Lice Reproduction Cycle
Lice are transmitted by indirect contacts such as sharing hats, towels, pillows, scarves and combs. Tea tree oil has been used for years to prevent the spread of lice by breaking the reproduction cycle, especially among members. Lice-free hair is not only healthy but also reduces scalp infections.
6. Helps the Hair Retain Moisture
When applied to the scalp on a regular basis, tea tree oil can act as a natural moisturizer. The oil contains properties that help control the dryness of the scalp and hair, thus increasing moisture retention.
Tea tree oil also helps reduce thinning and falling of hair. It contains anti-androgenic properties that help reverse the effects of androgen, a hormone believed to cause baldness and hair loss.
To reap the benefits of tea tree oil, you must use it on a regular basis and in the correct manner. Outlined below is how to use tea tree for hair in a way that will guarantee results quickly.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Hair
While you can use tea tree oil without combining it with other ingredients, it tends to work well when mixed with other components. Here’s how to use tea tree oil for hair in combination with other natural products.
Using Tea Tree with Carrier Oil
When mixed with carrier oil, tea tree oil is effective in dealing with dandruff and fungal infections. It also moisturizes the hair and adds a protective layer on the scalp making it resistant to toxins.
- Warm tea tree oil and mix 10 drops of the oil with one spoon of carrier oil
- Apply the resultant mixture on the scalp and massage for 5 to 10 minutes
- Wrap your head in a towel. Doing so opens clogged pores
- Let the it sit for 10 to 15 minutes
- Wash with shampoo and rinse
- Repeat the procedure at least once every week
Using Tea Tree Oil with Hair Shampoo
Combining tea tree oil with hair shampoo helps prevent hair loss, reduces dryness and itchiness.
- Mix tree oil with shampoo and clean your hair as normal. Be sure to massage the scalp gently for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Keep washing the hair for about 5 minutes
- Rinse with warm water
- Repeat the produce once every 7 days for best results
Using Tea Tree Oil with Hair Mask
When used together with a hair mask, tea tree oil helps get rid of lice, dandruff and also restores the hair’s health. Some of the best ingredients to make the hair mask include avocado and coconut oil.
- Start by filling an empty bottle with a few drops of tree oil and equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water
- Spread the mixture throughout the scalp
- Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes
- Wash the hair using tea tree oil shampoo. Allow the shampoo to sit on your hair for 5 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Mix pounded avocado and 2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil
- Apply the resultant mask throughout the entire scalp while massaging gently
- Let the mask sit on the hair for 30 to 40 minutes
- Wash it off with shampoo before rinsing with warm water
- Repeat the procedure once every week for best results
Using Tea Tree and Coconut Oil
Tea tree oil and coconut oil contain anti-fungal and antibacterial properties thus combining the two can help prevent itchiness, scalp eczema, dandruff, and scalp eczema.
- Start by mixing 10 drops of tree oil with 1 tablespoon of virgin oil
- Apply the mixture on the scalp while massaging for 5 to 8 minutes
- Let the mixture sit on the scalp for 2 hours
- Wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner
- Repeat the procedure at least once every week
- For the best results, apply the mixture before going to bed and rinse in the morning. Doing so increases the rate of absorption.
You don’t have to spend your money on expensive hair products to improve the scalp’s and hair’s health. Tea tree is not only affordable but also helps improve hair health naturally. Try out tea tree oil if you’re serious about improving your hair’s health. After all, you now know how to use tea tree oil for hair. Remember, when buying tea tree oil read the label to ensure that it does not contain other ingredients. Always, go for organic tea tree oil.